May 21, 2018
Often we need to remove rows from our Project, and that is very straightforward. There is a simple best practice around removing rows of which you should be aware.
|The steps for removing rows are as follows:|
- Using a Filtergram, isolate the rows which you want to remove.
- From the left-hand toolbar, click the Scissors icon (the step editor will now have a Remove Rows step, but the rows will still be visible)
|Preview (opens in a new window)|
- Click Save (all rows will disappear)
- Clear or Close the Filtergram (the rows you wanted to retain will now be visible)
| BUT WAIT! Before removing rows, you should consider using the following best practices.|
| ||When removing rows, there is sometimes a need to record what has been removed and sometimes, record an explanation why. Here’s some best practice advise on those two points:|
|Point 1.||CAPTURE ANY DELETED ROWS IN A SEPARATE LENS / ANSWERSET|
|Record what was deleted||To capture which rows were deleted, use a Lens.|
- Create a Lens using the bottom icon on the left-hand toolbar.
- Be sure that the filter applied to the lens includes the rows to be deleted and only the rows to be deleted.
- Position the lens at the step immediately before the remove rows. Call it something like “rejects”. This illustration show two lenses before the Remove Rows
- You can publish the lens manually or via automation.
|Point 2.|| ADD A COMMENTS COLUMN TO RECORD AN EXPLANATION OF WHY THE ROWS ARE DELETED|
|Explain why it was deleted||You may have specific reasons for why a row or set of rows are removed. Use a “Comment” or “Remarks” column to store those reasons|
- Isolate the rows to remove by using one or more Filtergrams
- Compute a column called “Comment” or another name meaningful to you.
|If there are multiple reasons why rows are being deleted, use the single “Comment” column to store multiple reasons.|
- Change the Filtergram selections to isolate the appropriate rows
- From menu on the Comment column, select Change into Custom Value.
Once all the comments are recorded,
- Include this “Comment” column in your Lens.
- Remove the “Comment” column after your Lens.